Years of experience: Less than 2 decades
Tuning capabilities: OEM ECU, SYVECS, HYDRA, LINK ECU, Vi-PEC
Education is Power, once done right 🙂
Remote Tuning vs Physical Tuning
In starting, there is no difference between Remote Tuning and Physical Tuning. Remote Tuning takes a little longer and can capture events more easily and time is the factor to allow true fine tuning. Taking a car on a dyno and you have a prefect tune is not possible. Taking a car on the road for a few mins and have a prefect tune is not possible. If that was the case, OEM manufacturers and racing teams will have limited research and testing. In other words, those countless hours you hear would just be lies.
Remote tuning requirements expected by the experience and knowledgeable tuner details that the customer communicates with his tuner in real-time as much as possible and communications channels opened extensively for tuning determination. That is, through you the customer, that knowledge transfer is achieve on any matter.
There are some who due to magazines and because of the bad information from many “Tuning” business seeking a quick way to make money, misrepresent real and detailed tuners who cares about Customer Relations, Service, Stability, Performance, Response, etc. This is a specialised service and should be treated so. That being said, there is no tune for $99, $199 or even one-off tunes. What took your OEM manufacture or racing team years to get right, just cannot come in the form as a pill. Please be wary. Because of the pricing war, tuning prices have been driven down and the quality of tunes have gotten worst. I am sad to say, the customer now expects less, and poor-quality tunes are fantastic. This indeed is very saddening. In addition, every man is a tuner because of having software in his hands to tune.
Dyno’es – Not created equally
Dyno’es are good. But it is a tool, and you should understand this. Not all dynoes are created equal and not all are operated properly. The best Dyno to used is here – http://www.rototest.com/index.php?DN=1&Visitor=4
RRI Research Institute
Dyno Testing Information – http://www.rri.se/index.php?DN=29
Noting the above, this will help you determine what is used out in the field. This is extremely important!!!!!!!
The dyno must create a real-life environment as much as possible and the quality of the hardware and software is key. That being said, a car dyno tuned should really spend some time on the road to gather data for stability, function and operations. This can take a few days or as long as possible for varying environmental conditions. Remember OEM manufacturers and racing teams. Please make sure your tuner offers this. Don’t be carried away with numbers.
Dyno usage – What it is good for
- Dialing in areas that needs cruising time
- Dialing mods that changes the dynamics quickly or drastically
- Safe area to tune.
- Ability to see changes easily on a close to control environment. The dyno facility should be controlled as much as possible. This can minimised the number of dyno pulls. Example, Humidity, Temperature, pollution, Noise, etc.
Remember and don’t take it as my word – Research, research, research. The tuning should finish up on the road, covering varying environmental conditions. Example, morning to night; hot to cold.
For those who love Dyno figures, having a correction of over 1 is useless. To verify Dyno figure, perform a quarter mile run and determine your realistic power figures.
Xtreme Racing Tuning – Drag Racing: 1/8-MILE TO 1/4-MILE CONVERSION TABLE
So let us get started.
Note: I am going to be precise as much as possible!
What are we talking about based on the subject?
Tuning the stock OEM computer that comes in the car. The majority stated below are also key points for Engine Management Systems or Powertrain Solutions.
- Try to understand what tuning is. Tuning allows the car to compensate for the environment for which it operates in. Either for general purposes or having high performance needs.
- What is needs before tuning – Mechanically
- Full Engine Oil service
- Spark Plug change
- Check for air leaks in the intake and header system – A boost test should be done.
- Clean the MAF sensor
- Throttle body Clean
- Injector Cleaning. Professionally cleaned or using a good quality Injector cleaner
- Verification of all necessary sensors and solenoids through logging – Xtreme Racing Tuning – XRT Diagnostic/Troubleshooting Support Service
- General maintenance of the car – Brakes, Coolant, Transmission oil, Gear oil, Tyres, Alignment, etc, etc.
- Tactrix Openport 2.0 Cable
- Ecuflash software
- Romraider Software – Romraider.exe | Latest RomRaider LOGGER Definitions
Now after all of the prelim groundwork been done, the next task is finding a tuner. Remote tuning should not offer anything less. Actually, it should offer more!
The tuner should be: –
- Very well Experience
- Should have excellent Customer Service – The community should highlight this.
- His work broadcast and can be seeing online
- Excellent Customer Reviews
- Very knowledgeable about his job and the car to be worked upon
- Excellent knowledge in Diagnostic and noting issues before issues gets out of hand
- Excellent Support Services – Phone, email, messaging
- Excellent communication skills
- Quick to respond within 4hrs
- Understanding of family committment and factors that affects the tune
- Excellent abilities in setting up computers and instructing/lecturing
- Be quick and excel in highlight your tune to you with graphs and data, if needed.
- Etc etc etc
Testing should be done as follows: –
- Follow your tuners direction precisely. Don’t do more than what is needed. If otherwise, seek advice.
- Relate any issues to the Tuner, even if you do not think it is important
- Safe area
- Cruising to spirited driving in areas to create minimal to high load stress on the car. These are mentioned below.
- Varying environment conditions
- Flat roads, especially for dyno pulls. When performing dyno pulls, do not sit waiting for the car to heat soak. This will reduce power tremendously.
Please note the above should just wet your interest and should drive dialogue between you and the company/Tuner of interest.