H6 3.0R Customer Feedback

Please post your feedback on Xtreme Racing Tuning service to you.
Thank you very much
west_minist
Site Admin

ChrisKu - 2008 USDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Post by west_minist »

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=582
west_minist wrote:
Subject: V11c1 Logs
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 23:01:38 -0700
To: XRT

Here are logs from V11c1...i am very please with the way she feels now on this ROM...shifting,power delivery, torque....in auto and in manual modes i like the way she feels...not sluggish at all even in the lower rpms if i need to pass or give a lil gas or to climb a hill...no problem now...no throttle lag at all in any mode or gear for any reason yet that I have encountered...she feels strong when i did a couple pulls...she just feels like she wants to go, peeppy, I like it! i cannot wait till I get the rest of the exhaust system on and the new torque box/racing intake chamber by kakimoto...very smooth cruising
.................... Driving in the automatic mode is now enjoyable as the car does not struggle in 5th gear anymore, she downshifts super fast and always when i need just a lil extra power when passing/overtaking cars or climbing hills.

In Full automatic Sport mode or Sport Sharp # mode, both modes feel like you are in the manual tiptronic mode with how the power is delivered in throttle response.

Before tuning when i would give it gas, it would take a few seconds for the power to be delivered and i could actually start feeling/Speeding up, but now as soon as i give it gas, she just wants to go!

Super peppy from Ed's tuning of the TCU, the DBW system has been fully adjusted and now it feels like theres power on demand, it an awsome feeling! No more struggling up hills or struggling for the auto tranny to downshift into 4th/3rd. Before when i would want the car to downshift in full auto mode, you would have the slam the pedal down to get it to downshift for passing/hill climbing...now you barely have to give it any gas for it to downshift to 4th!

The bogged down feeling i used to have is gone now that Ed has tuned the TCU! One other thing i noticed with the TCU tuning, when i would red line any gear...between 6000-6700rpm would take really long and it would almost struggle to fully redline to shift gears...now it just flys throughout the WHOLE rpm range,especially at the top of the rpm range it doesnt stall out or struggle to pull thru to redline for gear shifting.

Everything ed has done with the TCU has been above and beyond my expectations, Shifting is smoother & faster than before!

Videos will be posted soon of how she flys!!

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=582&start=10#p1808
Keems3.0R wrote: On to Rom V16..The Throttle Response due to the lag has been adjusted so that when i give it gas, it goes! Its a great feeling...
With the Full exhaust system in place she has a Beautiful Raspy Rumble Created by the Raptor Headers w/High flow Cats. The new exhaust system plus the Ecu tuning allows me to move thru the rpm range ALOT faster than before! Its like night and day from how the 3.0R was before I started tuning with Ed.

Driving in the automatic mode is now enjoyable as the car does not struggle in 5th gear anymore, she downshifts super fast and always when i need just a lil extra power when passing/overtaking cars or climbing hills. In Full automatic Sport mode or Sport Sharp # mode, both modes feel like you are in the manual tiptronic mode with how the power is delivered in throttle response. Before tuning when i would give it gas, it would take a few seconds for the power to be delivered and i could actually start feeling/Speeding up, but now as soon as i give it gas, she just wants to go! Super peppy from Ed's tuning of the TCU, the DBW system has been fully adjusted and now it feels like theres power on demand, it an awsome feeling! No more struggling up hills or struggling for the auto tranny to downshift into 4th/3rd. Before when i would want the car to downshift in full auto mode, you would have the slam the pedal down to get it to downshift for passing/hill climbing...now you barely have to give it any gas for it to downshift to 4th! The bogged down feeling i used to have is gone now that Ed has tuned the TCU! One other thing i noticed with the TCU tuning, when i would red line any gear...between 6000-6700rpm would take really long and it would almost struggle to fully redline to shift gears...now it just flys throughout the WHOLE rpm range,especially at the top of the rpm range it doesnt stall out or struggle to pull thru to redline for gear shifting. Everything ed has done with the TCU has been above and beyond my expectations, Shifting is smoother & faster than before! Videos will be posted soon of how she flys!!

We are close to finishing the Ecu tuning, but so far i am BEYOND please with all that ED has done with the 3.0R! :D Once the Kakimoto Racing Intake Chamber arrives/installed itll be the last mod i do for the 3.0R. Minor tuning adjustments might need to be made. Ive just received ROM V17. Review Comming Soon.
Sent: Monday, 7 September 2015 10:56 PM
To: XRT
Subject: Re: v22

Ed, You've done it again!! ROM V22 is beyond what i could have expected or imagined! as you know with all these lil hiccups that shes been having throughout this whole tuning process, and we are getting close to fixin all the lil bugs and issues.

Finally she feels like a Whole Rounded Beast of a 3.0R!! In all Rpm's for crusing/driving around is awsome, you really feel the gas pedal feel like it just wants to be smashed down to the floor, it feels lighter than ever. Before tuning, there was alot of tension behind the gas pedal and when i would try to accelerate it would bog down n take a long time for the power to come. Now, its press and go, no matter what Rpm or what gear, if your trying to pass another car or go up a hill! The shifting is smoother than ever and downshifting from any gear in automatic is with ease!

The throttle lag has been deminished and no longer lingers around, Ed has fully tuned the DBW/TCU in ways i couldnt imagine comming into this tuning process! This is by far the best ROM yet, V22 is amazing all around!

Thanks Ed!

Doing these Gear pulls for logging was Thrilling!!! She was pulling so hard to redline, shifted fast n crisp, On to the next gear...that was the most fun ive had in a long time while doing these pulls!!!
2015-09-30
...lol
so shifting feels great, i love how firm it is even when im not on full throttle, n it great when im doing gear pull cuz it hits hard n fast when shifting, no more srallin out/laggin during shift...now auto feels like manual and all the gears feel like they pull harder!!! i was in sport sharp manual 4th gear(round 2300rpm) n was climbing a hill n pressed down on gas n it pulled like it was in 3rd gear, needle jumped n jus pulled, no need to go down to 3rd gear(and i even passed a car too!!!)...everything is working great, feeling great, now were jus waiting for rallymax!!!! holy crap i cannot wait......its gunna b insane if u say it does what it does!!! especially happy that the fuel will b more oxygenated for up here in higher elevation!!!
2015-10-17
http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php ... ostcount=7
Hey guys, I just wanted to let everyone know how Ed has drastically changed my 08 3.0R for the better. Before Tuning the main complaint was with the way the DBW(drive by wire) throttle system worked, mainly how much lag there was when giving the gas and actually getting the power delivered..even my GF started complaining about it....The DBW lag now is a thing of the past! Now, when you push on the gas pedal, she GOES! doesnt matter if your at a stand still or if crusing and need some extra power to pass another car or climb a hill...The downshifting is effortless now, before you would have to depress pedal atleast halfway or more to get the car to realize you need/want more power...after XRT tuning, i barely have to press on the pedal for it to downshift! its great! Since i live at 4000ft in the mountains, im always climbing hills and headed downhill on steep grades...the 3.0R is much more enjoyable to drive on these roads, as the gears are held for much longer, it does not bog down in the rpms when climbing hills, but downshifts rather easily to raise rpms & give more power for these situations! driving in the automatic mode now feels like im driving in the manual shifting mode(sometimes i forget which mode im in...lol) Everything Ed had done with his tuning services has been for the better! I could not have found a better guy to help me out with my tuning needs! Ed, knows just about everything theres to know about most subaru models/motors, all his expertise has helped out in a big way when i needed some diagnostic help..
Ed, has also unleashed more power out of the H6 motor! Very quick now, alot more power in the lower rpm range and it just flies thru the mid to top end range of the RPM's with very firm and crisp shifts in automatic and manual modes. If your looking to get rid of the Lag that the stock DBW settings are at or want more power from your subaru, then no need to look any further, PM Ed @ XRT tuning and he'll sort you out!
I couldnt have imagined the way the 3.0R is now before starting the tuning with XRT and ED will cater to all your wants/needs...Just been a wonderful experience working with ed for the last couple of months tuning!
west_minist
Site Admin

ChrisLiz - 2008 ADM Subaru Legacy H6 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Post by west_minist »

Subject: RE: v2
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 05:42:52 +1000
To: <west_minist@xtremeracingtuning.com>

Hi Edward,

I loaded V.2 on Sunday morning and then we went for a 45min drive to the
north side of the city, this was the first time I have driven the car post
the start of tuning with all the family in the car, out for a normal drive.
It was sensational, it's a shame I didn't log some of it, plenty of
moderately steep long winding hills, that the car used to struggle to hold
speed 60km/h, now it holds it perfectly, without much throttle change it
shifted now and then to maintain speed up the winding hills, but I hardly
noticed the shift since it was so smooth. You have managed to tune this car
and remove all of the frustrating things about it that I think Subaru were
too lazy to address.

I am sorry I have not had a chance to look for the small intake or exhaust
leaks you have identified but will get to them when I can. Attached are some
logs post v.2, both Smode and S#.

We are heading up the mountains in a couple of weeks' time and it's a good 2
hour with cruising at 110km/h and then 45min of climbing to around 1100m, so
I look forward to logging some of this trip and seeing how the car goes.

Thanks again, the car is a dream and joy to drive.

Best Regards

Chris
2015-09-25
Hi Edward,

Attached are the logs from our trip to the mountains.
The car performed amazingly, it was a pleasure to drive. This is the first time I have had it on the highway up to 120km/h couldn’t go any faster as there is too much traffic during the holiday period. My wife also drove the car for the first time and loved the difference that your tuning has made.
I still cannot believe the difference the tuning has made to the handling and shifting of the engine/transmission and the fact that they now work as one instead of acting like separate unmatched entities. I still have a massive to do list, of things that I need and want to do to the car, 2 new avcs solenoids are on their way, not sure when delivery will be at this stage. I will keep you updated when I get to change them. Sorry I’m so slow at the moment as I have been put on a training course that is chewing up all of my free time.
Note: all of the DBW and 2nd gear shift adjustments and tweaks have been perfect. Thanks for those.

Cheers

Chris
2015-10-14
The car is performing very well and generally pulls pretty hard (Harder than it ever has in its life I think!).
v5 Speed Times.png
v5 Speed Times.png (10.01 KiB) Viewed 15271 times
west_minist
Site Admin

ColeJ - 2005 JDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.0R 6MT - Tuning

Post by west_minist »

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=614
XRT Tuning Feedback,

I thought I’d post my feedback and experience with tuning my 3.0R with Edward, firstly I’ll say the car has been transformed from stock. It is so much more responsive and the midrange torque feels a lot stronger! The common throttle lag caused by the cars’ DBW stock calibration has also been eliminated.
I came to XRT based off research and what others in the forum communities are saying, and its true Edward delivers on what has been said. I’m 17 hours ahead of Barbados here, and he seems to always be online to help and he knows what is happening with the car based off my description and looking at the numbers in the logs. He could tell I was having a little trouble with AVCS actuation and the AFR sensors, and sure enough after replacement, improvement in response.
Each version of the map has been an improvement, we are on V3 now, and it is massively different to stock, no more pinging, no more throttle lag and sometimes stalling, and much more torque. It is actually safe on our 98RON fuel here now. Its crazy fun just rowing through the gearbox, and it feels as fast as a wrx, but without all the noise, and with composure and smoothness.
So in summary, if you’re looking to have your 3.0r tuned- which you should be- have a chat with Edward, he is very knowledgeable, and you won’t be disappointed.
Cheers,
Cole
west_minist
Site Admin

NikL - 2004 ADM Subaru Liberty 3.0R 6MT - Tuning

Post by west_minist »

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=663
Sent: Thursday, 19 May 2016 23:31
Subject: Re: v0

Hi Edward – Just giving you some quick feedback on the v0 tune I loaded yesterday…

Whoa! Car is going great, even though I’m being ultra-conservative and not pushing it past 4k until I can get RR to log again (I need to troubleshoot) and know that it’s safe to really push it. I can already feel the increase in power and responsiveness, especially as the power seems to come on now around the 2k mark. It feels like a great upgrade “downgrading” from E85 back to 98!

Looking forward to getting some logs to you soon and continuing this journey with further tune revisions and feeling what the car is fully capable of! Thanks again for your consistent responsiveness and support to date.
2016-07-07
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.p ... 45#p430175
nixwrx wrote:Just posting my feedback on the experience that I've have with Edward to date.

Since I've chosen to go with remote tuning for the moment (versus a local tuner w/dyno), I was keen on some intensive one-on-one logging, updating ROM, re-logging, etc. iterative tuning process.

LOL as they say, never fear, Edward is here. Through review of logs Edward helped me diagnose a leak in the right-hand header which in turn led to a few other (smallish) mechanical fixes. Anyway once things were sorted the ROMs just kept on coming after logging over and over again, and where I'm at for the moment is a safe, strong tune that brings in the torque nice and early and builds up the power in a strong, smooth, linear manner.

While this might sound simple and straighforward in reality this has involved countless emails between Edward and myself accompanied by how many logs??? All the while Edward's supportiveness and responsiveness have been huge enablers for getting the car to where it's at today.

We're now working through an injector upgrade in prep for an E85 tune. Can't wait to see what we can achieve.

Thanks Edward and try to get some more sleep mate!
west_minist
Site Admin

PaulD - 2007 ADM Subaru Outback H6 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Post by west_minist »

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=665
2016-05-20
Sent: Thursday, 19 May 2016 19:17
Subject: Re: v0

Hi Edward,

It feels much more responsive and up hills has more power without changing down, so pretty happy with that. Bringing the revs up was good and I can now pull away without the lag that was there.
BBM Message - v1b
Where did all that power come from!?
20/05/2016 6:36 PM - PaulD: Where did all that power come from!?
20/05/2016 6:36 PM - PaulD: Woah...
20/05/2016 6:36 PM - PaulD: I have a big smile on my face this morning Edward and am going to enjoy this 150km drive down the coast more than ever!! Great work
21/05/2016 5:59 AM - PaulD: Great drive down. So much torque. The big hills are no problem now...its so much nicer to drive.
21/05/2016 6:07 AM - PaulD: Sports sharp is unreal. Need to give it another go tomorrow
21/05/2016 6:09 AM - PaulD: Normally s. I just tried intelligent and it seems better than sport used to be
2016-05-23
Sent: Monday, 23 May 2016 09:05
Subject: Re: v1c

Hi Edward,

The low end torque available makes the car a great drive, especially up the big hills I have on my daily drives in Sydney. Not sure if there's much left to squeeze from her, but that would only add to the fact that this is the best $$$ spent on this car since I've owned it. My only regret....not getting you to tune it sooner.

v1c has smoothed out the gear changes at low speed and low rpms, so that's good, and it seems the launch is not quite as fierce as it was on v1b, which is ok, as I was having trouble not racing away every time, even when I didn't want to.

My wife went for a drive yesterday and loved it and also thinks the investment was well worth while, which is a bonus!

Paul
west_minist
Site Admin

RonB - 2008 USDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.0R 5EAT

Post by west_minist »

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=656

RonH6 wrote:As the tuning continues, rom V4b did not dissappoint. The most noticeable change personally is the top end power compared to lower rom versions. The strip in which i do my pulls on, i find myself at the redline in 2nd quicker than before. The gears shift quick and smooth until i press the gas hard enough and the car starts to hold the gears in auto. The 5EAT is responding almost in regards to the way i want to drive off jump. Its impressive considering where we started. The throttle response is very sharp and i love it. Sometimes i do anticipate a harder pull when i floor it compared to lets say 65% throttle, but considering the N/A power linearity, it seems accurate. The fuel consumption has held pretty constant considering previous roms aswell. Idle is slightly lower then previous versions too.

Ed - making my car a fun monster! A ROM at a time :)
http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... =656#p2023
RonH6 wrote:As the tuning continues, rom V4b did not dissappoint. The most noticeable change personally is the top end power compared to lower rom versions. The strip in which i do my pulls on, i find myself at the redline in 2nd quicker than before. The gears shift quick and smooth until i press the gas hard enough and the car starts to hold the gears in auto. The 5EAT is responding almost in regards to the way i want to drive off jump. Its impressive considering where we started. The throttle response is very sharp and i love it. Sometimes i do anticipate a harder pull when i floor it compared to lets say 65% throttle, but considering the N/A power linearity, it seems accurate. The fuel consumption has held pretty constant considering previous roms aswell. Idle is slightly lower then previous versions too.

Ed - making my car a fun monster! A ROM at a time :)
http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... =656#p2026
RonH6 wrote:This update was an absolute charm! V6 with my CAI made my car actually break tires for a second @ 3700RPM~ pull!. The power delivery is near instant from when my foot is on the pedal. The torque hits the car hard and from 5000- to redline she pulls very hard. The 5EAT is trying to shift so fast that in auto, sometimes from 3rd it has to downshift back to second. The gears hold once i give it atleast 80% throttle. The fuel consumption got better even with me flooring it! ROM V6 works like a charm and compliments the CAI nicely! I love the highend POWAAA!!!

-Ed, can it get ANY better than this? I dont know :D. Ed the subaru guru.
http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... 2050#p2050
RonH6 wrote:So i have got ROM V7b soley focused on bettering the 5EAT operations and responsiveness. And BOY!!! STAGE 3 makes a very very huge difference. In automatic the car shifts buttery smooth all the way to fifth - as FAST as possible in normal/cruising driving conditons. Before this upgrade, the car would hold back a TON of torque low end when i gave the car heavy throttle and launching speeds. That has been minimized substantially. When driving mildly aggressive, the 5eat holds the gears as long as you keep giving it the majority of throttle angle, then RAPIDLY shifts gears. With STAGE 3, you can feel that difference in shifting speeds. It just jumps from one gear to the next effortlessly. I have more control over my car with my foot in auto. It is easier to estimate how the car will accelerate when i press the gas for an overtake. Before the car would stutter on quick boosts off throttle, now it utilizes the gas rather than voiding it, and puts the power to the ground quicker than before. In manual mode, its a complete dream! I can brake-launch the car around 2000rpm and she flys! No more stuttering/ trying to hold back the power. STAGE 3 is a must if you want the best out of your 5eat experience. Let alone power to floor!

ED - THE GURU :)
west_minist
Site Admin

SergeyK - 2004 EDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Post by west_minist »

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=674
Sent: Sunday, 14 August 2016 10:29
To: Edward Millington <west_minist@xtremeracingtuning.com>
Subject: Re: XRT Review

Here you go:

Ed was very helpful and responsive to all my questions, needs and quirks. I am not the regular client because of my suspicious nature and because of all my wishes to make all things by myself
Actually i was very ...hm, active and demanded in the process of tune development, so i think that he is very patient man :D
About the tune - the car's TCU seem to have some kind of Torque converter software bug, so the full potential of the tune is still waiting for resolution of this TCU problem, but i'm sure that resolution will unleash all the tune's positives.
With the last version the car is more responsive, have a good amount of low rpm range torque, gear changes are smooth all the way up to last gear, no matter what is the load, vehicle or engine speed.

Thank you, Edward, for letting me using you as a teacher in ECU tuning, for answering of all my stupid questions and at least, but not last - for the result, which is almost what i was expecting (damn you, TCU).
west_minist
Site Admin

AlexK - 2004 EDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Post by west_minist »

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=675
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2016 11:14 AM
To: west_minist@xtremeracingtuning.com
Subject: Re: v5a

l'd like to write a short review for the tuning process done by XRT. Edward is very helpful and kind walking me through the tuning process. He is on duty almost 24 hours and that is not exaggerated, I don't know when he sleeps. The time difference between my country and Barbados is seven hours, but Ed replies even in the middle of the night as I calculated. He resolved some of the minor pre-tune problems that the car had like leak from the air box (very common problem in these models by the way check it if you are planning a tune), AVICS solenoid malfunction and so on. This is the time to say that if you are panning to do a tune be prepared to change some things that Ed will diagnose for sure. That is a collateral damage to your wallet but it is an absolute must for good results.
About the tune: As you all probably felt the same way I was nervous when I reset the OEM ECU for the first time and installed the v1. But since that the satisfaction of driving my Scuby is tremendous. The shifting is better and with a good torque from the low RPM to the rev limit. The shifting is faster and you feel the extra power, although I added headers to my tune project and it is even better since than. The thinking before changing to lower gear of the old gear box is now a thing of the past. You have no problems to overpass and you feel much more confident.
Overall very satisfied with the tune, will recommend Ed to anyone that wants a proper Subaru tune and extraction a few horsepower from this wonderful engine.
Thank you Ed
west_minist
Site Admin

RobertC - 2008 USDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Post by west_minist »

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php ... ostcount=1
I finally decided to pull the trigger on contacting Edward at Xtreme Racing Tuning, and have started the tuning process. My car being 3.0R, 5 speed Auto, there are not many options for tuning, and even fewer people who have any experience with this engine. Edward, however, is experienced with the H6 and with tuning the 5eat for faster and firmer shifts.

The process begins with getting your laptop set up and all necessary programs (RomRaider, ECUflash) installed. Edward is very helpful and can walk you through the entire process. Then you log data on your stock tune. You send this back to Ed, he sends back a tune which you load onto the ECU.

I noticed HUGE DIFFERENCE right away. The stock H6 5eat can have a lot of lag and kind of a dead spot below 3500-4000rpm. This all went away. In the rain, I could now spin tires off the line and powerslide :mrgreen:

The shifting of the 5eat was also totally transformed. 1-2 upshift is barely noticeable, it's so fast and smooth. Revs don't drop or lag, and there is no delay, it just keeps pulling. The transmission no longer needs to downshift on the highway or at cruising speed. It pulls hard at 2500-3000.

After logging data on V0, Ed did his magic, and sent me V1 of the tune, which I am currently running. Things have really gotten exciting.... Huge improvement in top end power, my Outback now pulls hard past 80mph, which it never did before. Sport# is nuts, and manual mode feels like driving a responsive manual transmission car. The term "slushbox" will never enter my mind again. I'll soon be data logging and looking forward to more improvements with V2.

While the tuning process is slightly confusing and complex at first, especially for a Mac user having to run Windows... Edward, in addition to the community of all his other customers, is always there to graciously help or answer any questions you may have. The experience is the perfect blend of professionalism and personal, friendly customer care.

I've wanted to get my car XRT tuned since I first got it and started reading the forums. So glad I'm finally doing it!
west_minist
Site Admin

ChrisoffE - 2005 EDM Subaru Legacy Spec B 3.0R 6MT

Post by west_minist »

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=689
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2016 4:33 PM
Subject: Re: v3

And you were right, pulls harder every were in the rev band, but most noticeable is the high end that wasn't there before. It's starting to pull harder after 6000rpm lol.
The low end is also a lot better. Didn't have any before and now I don't have to drop a gear to overtake and such.
And it also seems like I have gotten a different sound 3000rpm and down almost like a mix between EJ and VQ like XD.
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2016 10:19 AM
Subject: Re: Review needed

Review tuning so far (V3):

Decided to get a tune from XRT due to the overwhelmingly positive responses that i have read on forums and such.
And i couldn't agree more, the knowledge and patience that Ed have is astonishing, I love that i can ask any remotely tuning related question no matter what time on the day and get the answer I'm looking for within minutes.
Tuning started slow due to having problems logging, but it got solved by letting Ed configure RomRaider over teamviewer.
Even at V0 The car felt better than stock due to removal of throttle lag, at V1 Ed discovered that both my AFR sensors didn't work fully, my AVCS solenoids were malfunctioning and that my EGR valve were stuck open, all this without having a check engine light!
V2 was made so i could run it safe until i could fix the broken stuff.
V3 was a big one, it made everything better. got low and top end that was non existent stock and a beefier mid range.
I wanted to stay stock and "just" get a tune but here I am browsing go faster stuff while writing this.

Return to “Customer Satisfaction”