NickT - 2008 Subaru Liberty 2.5i NA 5MT ADM - SC Tuning

2008+ Subaru Legacy/Outback
turner_822

Re: NickT - 2008 Subaru Liberty 2.5i NA 5MT ADM - Tuning

Post by turner_822 »

west_minist wrote:Was this on v6 or v5?

Yes, the STI be great. I think its being stock is crap.

Should have Kelford B cams in it, full suspension bits, a bigger turbo, etc.
This was with v6 installed. Just got back from the mountains and 2nd gear is lethal!! lol. I am only doing basic mods because WHEN (not if!) I get an STI I will spend stupendous amounts of cash to get everything as good as it gets, then see if I can stay alive long enough to enjoy them! :D
HyRax

Post by HyRax »

turner_822 wrote: Hey, I love to write reviews but this being my first car means I struggle to explain myself but I'll do my best!!
Your first car! You lucky bugger - I wish I'd known about Subaru when I got my first car back in '97!
turner_822 wrote: In my opinion, the entire car was so dull for one reason: the engine was a second or two behind the throttle.
It did feel that way, didn't it? The stock tune also made the car feel somewhat heavy and underpowered.

I've come to realise that the stock tune is crap simply because Subaru don't know where and how you are going to drive your car. The stock tune is safe in the driest and coldest conditions all the way through to the hottest and most humid conditions. You've now discovered what can happen when your car is tuned to your local atmospheric coniditions (as did I). That said, I found Edward's tune to perform admirably in summer, but the best performance is always going to come in cooler, denser temperatures.
turner_822 wrote: I am only doing basic mods because WHEN (not if!) I get an STI I will spend stupendous amounts of cash to get everything as good as it gets, then see if I can stay alive long enough to enjoy them! :D
Keep modding the 2.5i as you go even before you get the STi (mostly because it's just fun to do, and you learn a lot!) - I'm in the process of installing a full set of STi Brembo's, discs, braided lines and STi master brake cylinder on my 2.5i this weekend because my spirited mountain driving is causing me brake fade! Should allow me to stretch the legs of my own tune a bit further! :)
turner_822

Post by turner_822 »

HyRax wrote:
turner_822 wrote: Hey, I love to write reviews but this being my first car means I struggle to explain myself but I'll do my best!!
Your first car! You lucky bugger - I wish I'd known about Subaru when I got my first car back in '97!
turner_822 wrote: In my opinion, the entire car was so dull for one reason: the engine was a second or two behind the throttle.
It did feel that way, didn't it? The stock tune also made the car feel somewhat heavy and underpowered.

I've come to realise that the stock tune is crap simply because Subaru don't know where and how you are going to drive your car. The stock tune is safe in the driest and coldest conditions all the way through to the hottest and most humid conditions. You've now discovered what can happen when your car is tuned to your local atmospheric coniditions (as did I). That said, I found Edward's tune to perform admirably in summer, but the best performance is always going to come in cooler, denser temperatures.
turner_822 wrote: I am only doing basic mods because WHEN (not if!) I get an STI I will spend stupendous amounts of cash to get everything as good as it gets, then see if I can stay alive long enough to enjoy them! :D
Keep modding the 2.5i as you go even before you get the STi (mostly because it's just fun to do, and you learn a lot!) - I'm in the process of installing a full set of STi Brembo's, discs, braided lines and STi master brake cylinder on my 2.5i this weekend because my spirited mountain driving is causing me brake fade! Should allow me to stretch the legs of my own tune a bit further! :)

I agree, I think the stock tune is just generic for all conditions/drivers. That's why I got so annoyed hearing "ohh mate, can't tune that! Factory tune will be perfect". Then Edward walks in and turns the thing into an animal!!

I have learnt so SO much working on my car. Coming from road bikes its a whole new world but I'm learning and loving it :D

I have found the brakes to fade especially through the mountains and it leads to some butt-clenching moments lol. I am looking to upgrade the suspension and firm it up a bit, then its onto the brakes.
west_minist
Site Admin

Post by west_minist »

Change to motul rbf600, braided brake lines and maybe upgraded pads from ferodo.
west_minist
Site Admin

v7

Post by west_minist »

V7 have greater low end torque
v7 3rd Gear Dyno SAE Accel.png
v7 3rd Gear Dyno SAE Accel.png (45.54 KiB) Viewed 13605 times
v7 3rd Gear Dyno SAE.png
v7 3rd Gear Dyno SAE.png (42.22 KiB) Viewed 13605 times
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:08 AM
To: Edward
Subject: RE: v8

I first installed in back before my surgery while I was on holidays and drove home with it. I can't really remember how v6 was but I remember having some amazing fun on the way home with v7 when I was in the high rpm range

I remember noticing some slight changes in the top end. It seemed to hold on to the power as it went over 5000rpm. When the car really starts to surge at around 4000rpm the power seems to drop away a bit at about 5000rpm. v7 felt like it improved this and helped it to hold onto the power. Instead of that fantastic surge of power between 4000-5000 fading away just as I start to enjoy it, it now seems to last longer. The combination effect of all the changes has made me think twice before planting the throttle coming out of the turns!!

I specifically remember a winding set of turns through the mountain where it was perfect to just hold in 2nd gear, working between 3000-6500rpm felt fantastic!! The car felt VERY aggressive and I went on/off the throttle and I could feel the power wanting to kick the car into under/oversteer (AWD working hard to keep me alive lol).
turner_822

Post by turner_822 »

Those graphs are awesome Edward!! They tell such a small part of the story, the car feels FANTASTIC to drive!! The best part is re-loading the stock and feeling the boring and sluggish it is. With stock settings, I put my foot down and its like the engine takes a moment to decide what to do...and I get bored, lol.

It is like two different cars!! The way it picks up speed down in the low RPM, the extra torque and the way it immediately reacts when I touch the throttle. It's hard to describe but put it this way, I took my friend for a drive before and after v7 and had him giggleing like a school girl by the time I'd wound out 3rd!!

I feel spoilt rotten and lack the works to thank you for all the extra time you spent tinkering with this Edward!!
west_minist
Site Admin

v9 Dynoes

Post by west_minist »

v9 3rd Gear Dynoes SAE.png
v9 3rd Gear Dynoes SAE.png (32.88 KiB) Viewed 13563 times
turner_822

Post by turner_822 »

The car felt even faster! It was hauling when I first set off with the intake temp around 18 degrees. Then it stabilized at about 23-25 degrees but it was still going really well. I noticed in particular how it behaved when cruising in 5th gear at 100km/hr. It sits at about 2600rpm and when I put my foot down it instantly starts picking up speed and pulls up hills really well. It has this real surge between 2500-3000rpm that was definitely not there before, in fact it used to feel like crap when you put your foot down in that rpm range but now its great!!

I can't get over the pull it has between 4-5000rpm. Going from 1500rpm, its a bit slow but then really picks up between 2500-3000rpm. Its a bit slow from 3000-4000 but then it takes off between 4000-5000 and that surge makes for my favourite part the car's performance.

Power seems to fade a bit as it gets higher (5000 up to 6500rpm) but it's still way better then it used to be. I absolutely love the howling noise the engine makes as it approaches 6500rpm, it says just when to change gear. I know its probably howling in pain and agony, but I don't push it that hard very often and my service intervals are now every 5000km or ~4 months (although recently I have been doing a lot of hard driving for logs...)

Biggest imporvement by far though is the low-mid range power, and I find it getting the better of me sometimes on roads that I know really well. It has made everyday driving 10x better. With a supercharger I will definitely be looking to upgrade my brakes to avoid those bowel clenching moments :shock:

To see the difference between stock and v9 still amazes me...especially considdering a stack of local places that basically told me I was an idiot and you can't improve on a so-called perfect stock tune...read the graphs and weep :wink: 98 kW - 108 kW and 172 Nm - 191 Nm.

Nice work Edward, improving on what many called "perfection" lol
west_minist
Site Admin

v9 vs Stock - 3rd Gear Dyno SAE

Post by west_minist »

v9 vs Stock - 3rd Gear Dyno SAE.png
v9 vs Stock - 3rd Gear Dyno SAE.png (31.29 KiB) Viewed 13562 times
v9 Performance times.png
v9 Performance times.png (8.33 KiB) Viewed 13561 times
v9 Performance.png
v9 Performance.png (32.53 KiB) Viewed 13561 times
west_minist
Site Admin

Post by west_minist »

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.p ... 26#p251849
turner_822 wrote:Well I had some real fun with v9c. Edward has got the car really dialed in. I will have to log some 3rd gear pulls so Edward can post the graphs but he didn't tell me what he changed for v9c.

Straight away I noticed the difference down low. The power feels so smooth now and that slow spot between 3000-4000rpm is pretty much gone. As I accelerated, it would pick up at 2500, drop off a tiny little bit at 3000, pick up again at 4000 and finally drop off at 5000. Now; the power seems to build really smoothly from 2500rpm right up to 5000 before the power fades away. It just feels like it's reving so freely because it's no longer getting held up by that slow spot between 3000-4000rpm.

Didn't really get out of town so I couldn't stretch its legs and feel for any changes in the high rpm range. I look forward to finding out in the morning though :D

My friend who has driven the car a few times absolutely loved the tune. I didn't tell my older brother (original owner) about the tune and he was very supprised when he first drove it. Also that was only with ?v7 I think. They are yet to see Edward's recent work.

Return to “Subaru H4 2.5i”