Site Admin

Stock 2nd Gear Dyno SAE

Post by west_minist »

Stock 2nd Gear Dyno SAE.png
Stock 2nd Gear Dyno SAE.png (39.37 KiB) Viewed 6118 times
lngbrdnpwdr

Re: PeterV - 2013 USDM Subaru Outback H6 3.6 5EAT - Tuning

Post by lngbrdnpwdr »

This is the second OB I'm having Ed tune. I love the way the engine and trans respond so much to Ed's tunes that I'm a repeat customer...my first OB got totaled, right as I was getting ready to do Raptor SC. It had headers and full exhaust and was very finely tuned by Ed, blast to drive, very sad day when it was gone...but she gave her life for mine. She was rear ended by an uninsured & texting driver, I was unhurt except for a couple days of sore neck & back, car even drove home fine, but unibody was rippled from just behind front seats all the way back. So I uninstalled everything I could and started looking for another gen 4 OB.

Got this 2013 3.6 with Eyesight (wish the idiot that rear ended me had it, never would have happened)...I actually hooked up my laptop on the test drive and logged then sent to Ed, within ten minutes he had a health diagnosis: little lean, probably old gas. So I bought her and immediately started preparing her for Ed's tunes: Intake leak testing...only 36K miles but hose clamps were not tight, maf was dirty, brakes upgraded to drilled & slotted with pad upgrade too (really want better than stock brakes with Ed's magic making your ride quicker :D ) , RSB upgrade to keep the rear glued to the road.

Then she was ready, first ROM Ed sent was a huge improvement in driving fun over stock: shift lag GONE, power IMMEDIATE & more. A few more ROMs dialed everything in and Ed let me know she was ready for the headers I saved from my old OB, HOORAY! As I was driving home from the exhaust shop, logging, I was so happy to have that instant power & sound boost, but noticed the low & high rpms were weak...well of course that ROM wasn't tuned for the headers, but it was good enough to keep the CEL from coming on. Sent Ed that log and a few hours later he sent a ROM that really made her rip, tires trying to break loose when I punch it around a corner. I've done a bit of dirt/gravel road driving and she WILL DRIFT now. Of course there's been a few more ROMs...minor driving improvements but mostly Ed tweaking things to ensure long life & reliability. I really like that about Ed, he doesn't stop when the customer is happy, he keeps going till the car is happy to make sure she's healthy for many miles!

So here I am again ready for SC, not sure when though because getting a newer OB devoured all my SC savings...but that leads to an interesting point. As "BANG FOR BUCK" goes, of everything I've spent money on for cars, the XRT tuning is really the best bargain...driving a stock ROM is embarrassing because it performs so poorly. Driving an XRT ROM is AWESOME, it makes the car perform great, just totally tons of fun! Maybe the dyno graphs won't show much gains, I don't care, because I KNOW how much better it feels to drive it, how it shifts, stronger power delivery and response...there's a reason it's called tuning but maybe Ed should add "DIALED IN" cause he sure does!

Thanks Ed!
west_minist
Site Admin

Re: PeterV - 2013 USDM Subaru Outback H6 3.6 5EAT - Tuning

Post by west_minist »

Thank you so much for such great comments and reviews.