Jeff - 2008 Subaru Liberty 2.5i NA 5MT ADM - Tuning

2008+ Subaru Legacy/Outback
HyRax

Re: Jeff - 2008 Subaru Liberty 2.5i NA 5MT ADM - Tuning

Post by HyRax »

Amazing to see how much of a different a cooler night makes in the torque department. For the v9a runs, it was about 8 degrees cooler than the previous night thanks to some rain.
west_minist
Site Admin

Re: Jeff - 2008 Subaru Liberty 2.5i NA 5MT ADM - Tuning

Post by west_minist »

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/posting.php ... 5&p=207307
HyRax wrote:v9 and v9a ROM updates

The v9 ROM contained a new fuel map that Edward originally intended to apply but wasn't able to previously due to lots of pinging when we first started out. The spark plugs were just too worn and the engine really needed a good major service for this new map to be usable. Now that I've had my Interval J service with new everything including spark plugs, we could now revisit the map to see if any further improvements could be made to the v8 ROM.

I flashed up the car and immediately set out. Edward wanted logs sooner than later, so despite it being a very warm night of 29 degrees and humidity so thick that I considered taking a snorkel and fins with me, I set out to get some logs. The roads were very quiet, probably due to the heat, and I got to my back road without encountering many people so I hadn't yet noticed anything new with the car.

I completed six runs and I couldn't really feel anything new other than the speedo reading slightly higher speeds than I remembered the v8 tests did. I'd gotten very used to the v8 ROM over the last five months, so I figured this update would only make subtle improvements.

It wasn't until I drove home that I actually noticed what the real differences were. There was more traffic this time. Overtaking other cars was noticeably easier than before. The pick up down low and in the mid-range had definitely improved and was only noticeable when I had a reference point of driving past something. What was made easy to do in previous ROMs was now made easier again - not a massive improvement, but enough to be very nice. The car ramps up the revs quicker than before (again!), and because of the hot night, I also had my air-con on as well so I was very impressed.

I did a few more overtaking manoeuvres with the air-con off and I was surprised that there was almost no difference in the pull-factor compared to with the air-con on.

So in short, I've now got more power down low and in the mid-range, but the top-end feels about the same as v8.

The v9a ROM contained corrections to the map for which I did some further logs last night. Thanks to the rain, ambient temperatures were down a good 8 degrees and this translated into a massive improvement on torque. THIS I could definitely feel a difference in when putting my foot down and overtaking of course felt even easier still, so like any car, it's still affected by warmer temperatures, but overall the performance even in hot weather is outstanding. Looking at the graphs, the power figure remains virtually unchanged while the torque figure just shoots up when the air is cooler, just like any car of course, but it's good to see the proof on paper.

At this stage in time it's difficult to tell how much of an overall improvement v9a is having over v8, since v8 was tested just as we were coming out of winter last year, so ambient temperatures were even colder. Short of doing new baselines of v8, I'll probably have to wait until winter again. By the seat-of-the-pants-o-meter, there is definitely an improvement however.

This morning I received the v9b ROM which addresses some minor pinging issues in the 4,000rpm region. This time Edward wants me to get some general driving logging done as well as the usual third-gear runs.

Return to “Subaru H4 2.5i”